Monday, March 2, 2009

Felt Pizza



My daughter loves to cook. All her toys have turned into food at one point or another. She's always mixing and baking and giving me a "taste" of the snacks she's made.

A while ago I bought a couple of these little cookie sheets for her at the Dollar Store.

She loves to pretend to make cookies or pizza on them with her blocks or bean bags. I love them because they're magnetic too so she can play with all her magnetic toys on them.

For a while I've been thinking about making felt pizzas for her and I finally got around to buying some felt. I love felt because it doesn't bend or tear. The fun lasts so much longer with felt than with paper.

What you need:
  • Brown felt--for the crust
  • Red felt--for the sauce and pepperoni
  • White felt--for your mozzarella cheese
  • Black felt--for olives
  • Green felt--for peppers
  • Pink felt--for Canadian bacon
  • Yellow felt--for pineapple
  • A good pair of sharp scissors
  • Circle patters
  • Straight pins (optional)
Look around your house for circle shapes. I used a plate, bowl, and lids to make my circles. For the bigger circles I pinned my patterns on the felt to make it easier to cut, but for the smaller ones I just held the pattern with my finger.

For toppings I tried to use "food" that wasn't too small. I didn't want to be stuck with a bunch of teeny tiny pieces.

Pepperoni pizza with olives and green peppers

Canadian bacon pizza with pineapple

My daughter has had so much fun making her pizzas. And when we're done we store it all in a Ziploc bag.


Another idea: If your child doesn't have interest in assembling a pizza you can always glue all the pizza pieces together and then cut it into slices to play with.



4 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, this is a friend of Jeanine's, Kelly (Enlow). I love this site! You are so creative and I can't wait to use all your ideas! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way cute!!!

    I just found this site and thought you might be able to get some ideas from it too. http://partiesandholidays.blogspot.com/

    Happy creating!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DARLING! I love your ideas, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Violet-
    Thanks for the site. Cute ideas!

    ReplyDelete