Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Grocery Sack



My kids got this fun little register for Christmas from their grandparents and have loved going shopping and playing store.

But they were missing something.  They needed a bag to put all their groceries in.  I finally got around to making one--now that it's March.


Here's how I made it . . .

First I cut out my felt:
1- 3" x 5
2- 3" x 7"
2- 5" x 7"
4- 11 1/2" x 1"


Pin your 5x7 pieces to the 3x5 piece.

Then sew them together about 1/8 of an inch from the edge.  This is what I love about felt--no edges to finish and edges that don't fray.  It makes everything so easy.


Once you've done that pin on your 3x7 pieces to each side to form the bag and sew the edges.


Now you've got the bag part done and are ready for the handles. 

I placed mine about 3/4 of an inch from the edge and 1 1/2 inches down.  There are two pieces to each handle.  Where the handle overlaps with the bag, one piece of the handle will go on the outside, while the other goes on the inside.  Does that make sense?

Once you've pinned the handle on sew around the edges at a 1/8 of an inch.


Then repeat, pinning and sewing the handle on the other side--and you're finished.
I was going to cut around the top edge with my pinking shears to make it zig-zagged, but forgot.  Oh well, for next time.


Super easy and simple.  Now my kids can buy all the groceries they want without having to fill their hands.




7 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I actually just got a little bag from Target (for the Dr. Seuss day) and was going to just toss it but now I know what I'm going to do with it. Thanks for the idea!
    Kaysi
    Keeping It Simple

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly was going to leave the exact same comment as Jeanine. Also, I would have loved that as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh, that is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute is that! And a great tutorial too! Thanks for sharing!
    I'm visiting from Tip Junkie!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. My girls would love that! And it would be such a fun way to store all their play food when they aren't playing with it!

    Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made this for my niece for Christmas. I'm still working on the food to fill it:-) Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made these for my son who got a toy kitchen for Christmas. Too easy and he loves them. Thanks so much. http://roslynhardyholcomb.com/2015/12/31/tiny-grocery-bags/

    ReplyDelete