Thursday, April 8, 2010

Felt Toolbox


Did you make your felt tools yet?

Ready for a toolbox?



The first thing I did was make my letters. Of course these aren't necessary, but they look cute . . .
Felt can be kind of tricky to cut when you're trying to make things very accurate and that's why I love "wonder under". You can find it at any fabric store. I got mine at Joann's. I fused a piece onto my felt with the iron (be sure to use a press cloth) and then wrote my letters on it. This makes it SO much easier to cut them out. Be sure to trace your letters backward though. You'll notice I didn't. Oops. Luckily the only letter I had to redo was the "L".


See how great my letters look. Wonder Under is fab.


I then cut out my toolbox--nothing fancy here. You'll want a back piece and then two pieces in the front to make a pocket for your tools. (The bottom of the lid is the solid line, the top of the "box" is the dashed line. Make sense?)

(Click to enlarge)




See how it opens . . .


I then arranged my letters on the front and fused them right on with the iron (using a press cloth of course). Last I added a handle, again using Wonder Under, so I could just fuse it on without having to do any sewing.


And here are my tools. Tucked in nice and neat inside.

I've been thinking this would make a great toy to bring along for all the road trips we're going to be taking this summer since it's nice and compact. It won't take up hardly any room.


And there you go . . . felt tools and a toolbox.

If you make your own felt tools let me know. I'd love to see how yours turned out.


22 comments:

  1. SOOOOOo cute. My tool-obsessed sons would LOVE to play with this. I should make it for them and surprise them one day in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too cute!!! We are flying with the kids to Disneyworld before my husband deploys to Afghanistan, so I will have to find some free time to try this out so our three year old can play with it on the plane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute! It is probably a good thing that I don't have a little boy anymore, because then I would make one and keep it forever.

    We had the funnest work bench and tool set. I finally gave it a new home before we moved to Texas (my son is almost 9) and I am still sad that we don't have it anymore! :X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love it all!! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://servingpinklemonade.blogspot.com/2010/04/felt-tools.html

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to try this for a quiet book! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute Amy, and it was on another blog I read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable! and after all the felt food out there, it's nice to see something a bit different! Thanks so much for linking up on Craft Schooling Sunday, and hope to see you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea for my little guy! Thanks for sharing.

    www.rockiescrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are SO CUTE! You should link up the tut on the tools too! I may have to try making some of these...very creative and inexpensive too. Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday! Hope to see you again next week!

    Blessings
    Ginger
    SSB

    http://superstinkyboys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely project!

    I will try to make a similar one :D

    Laura from Italy

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are super cute and they would also make cool magnets for the kids to play with on the fridge.

    Thanks for linking up with What are little boys made of?

    ReplyDelete
  12. So adorable!!! I just stumbled on your blog and will def be coming back to see some more!!!

    xoxo,
    Cat @ BudgetBlonde.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is adorable - I'll have to give it a go sometime. Thanks for the Wonder Under tip - that could be useful for a lot of things!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what fun... this seems like a perfect toy for little boys... you cna probably make a belt to attach it to. Great part of a Halloween costume (not that we are thinking Oct now).

    http://Polwig.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute idea! Jumping over from the christmas in july linky party! I love the name of your blog! I will have to come visit more often!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow - super cute tool box. Love all the cute tools as well. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cute idea! And so easy to make. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so adorable! You're so crafty! I'm happy to be your newest follower of your delightful blog and would love to have you as a friend at FFD! I'm also hosting a link party/giveaway every Friday and would love to have you link up your finds/creations! Hope to see you there!
    Hugs,
    ~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Amy,

    Thank You very much for your special tutorial!!!!

    All the Best : )

    Carine Calé

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just wanted to say how much I love this idea! I have such a hard time finding quiet toys for my little boy. It was so easy to make and he loves it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just discovered your blog and I LOVE it!!! Thanks SOO much for sharing all your fabulous ideas!! I can't wait to get started on them!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am totally pinning this! Thank you so much for linking up to our Pattern Party at getyourcraptogether.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete