Monday, July 5, 2010

Mini Car Mat-- Take 1



It's summertime! And for most people summer = travel. We are no exception. However, this year we are traveling to Alaska. Alaska = long plane ride. I have been racking my brain trying to come up with things that will keep my 3 boys busy while we are trapped on a plane with no option to take a break and run around.


One of the ideas I came up with was a car mat. It needed to be small enough to fit on their airplane tray. I really liked this idea but thought my boys would get bored after too long. I needed something more like this. The problem with making the entire mat 8 1/2 x 11 is that the road still has to be as big as the car. This doesn't leave much room for buildings and such.




To make it a little sturdier, I put some wonder under on another piece of 8 1/2 x 11 green felt and fused my town to it.


Sorry I don't have a good tutorial . . . I was winging it as I went along. Basically, I used the same idea as Amy's Dinosaur Play Mat. I will have a pattern for the pieces that I used--stay tuned. I am making a few more of these (I have to have at least one for each boy!)


I'm linking to these parties this week.






16 comments:

  1. i think is a GREAT idea :) great for traveling!! come on over and link up to MMM !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that it's 8x11 - so easy to take a long & still super cute. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love your blog! You have so many cute ideas for kiddos!! We think along the same lines...I recently made a road system for my boy to play with, it's huge so not for traveling, but you should see...

    http://memoriesbyannadawn.blogspot.com/2010/06/i-love-cardboard-crafts.html

    Thanks for all your smart, and definitely do-able kids crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really great! Love it.

    Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is awesome!!! My boys would love this, thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cute! Great idea! You have a new follower! Come visit Mama's Little Chick.

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, I totally LOVE this. I am doing my first big road trip and I am going to add this to my car survival kit.

    I am featuring your doll house from last week's linky party, I would love for you to link up this project this week.

    I heart felt, and you just reminded me why I love it!

    Just Another Day in Paradise

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute! Love it! I am in the process of making a few of these for my 3 year old. Jack needs a few because he has a super shot attention span...thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So darling! Thanks for linking up to Sister Sister Sunday! I love your blog!

    Thanks,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to do something similar for my little one's birthday coming up, so thank you for the inspiration. Your mat is beautiful! I hope you will pop over and come and visit sometime. I also love art and crafts.


    Take care,
    Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! Mabuhay from the Philippines! Thank you for the idea! You inspired me to be creative. Thanks! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I gave it a try this weekend and my little one is loving it! Thanks for the inspiration! Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked ur blogs very much and image formant is very helpful. Mini Car Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your ideas and have blatently used them to make my car/animal play mat. Thanks for the inspiration!

    http://blackpaws.wordpress.com/2012/05/19/portable-play-mat/

    ReplyDelete