Monday, June 21, 2010

Little Wooden Dolls



This is going to be one busy summer. Between weddings, reunions and visiting family I think we'll be away more than we'll be home. Since late winter I've had an eye and ear open for any sort of idea that I could use to keep my kids entertained on our long car and plane rides.


I saw these little wooden craft, um, "things" at JoAnns. I really don't know what they are, but I thought they'd make a fun new toy.



I planned on making them all girls but my daughter thought since there were four of them there should be a doll to represent each person in our family. I did my best trying to make two of the figures look like boys. I drew on the clothes and face with a pencil. There was a lot of erasing going on until I finally felt satisfied with them.


Painting came next. Kind of silly, but I put it off for a few days because I was scared to death to do it. I didn't want to ruin them. The only brushes I have are a cheep set that I bought when I was a poor college student only because I needed them for an assignment. Good brushes probably would have made it a little easier, but in the end I was pretty happy how they turned out . . . although they're far from perfect.



Here's a side view of the girlies so you can see their cute piggy-tails.




After they were all painted and dry I added a top coat that made them shinny. I still can't decide if I like them better this way . . .





Happy little family . . .



Stay tuned to see the mini doll house that I made for these cute
dolls to live in . . .


I'm linking to THESE parties this week.



23 comments:

  1. These are so sweet! I can't wait to try them myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What adorable little dolls! Their simple features are so eye catching. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I complement your artistic talent! They are wonderful. Especially since you made them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGosh...how adorable! These little guys are too cute! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darling! You did such a great job! Your painting skills are excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so stinkin' CUTE!!! I'm gonna have to makes some of these when my little girl gets older!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are great!!! You are very talented, if I were to paint them it would have been a mess! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

    madincrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. precious! can't wait to see the dollhouse! thanks so much for sharing on creativejewishmom.com, hope to see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic! These remind me of toys my grandmother gave us to play with as kids. Great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute. They remind me of some wooden clothespin dolls I had as a kid. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wouldn't those be fun to make and use for alternative game pieces? Then everyone could have a game piece that really looked like them! Thanks for sharing! Please come again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ok--those are DARLING!! i love all the cute little features on each one. you have a good hand for painting:)

    i am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  14. these are so cute. they would be such cute cake toppers too. you could put a candle in the top, all you would need to do is drill i small hole in the top with a bit the size of a birthday candle, relatively small. oh you could paint them to like the child. i'm not so detailed with my painting but i may have to give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So very cute! Love them. I agree with sydney, they would be great cake toppers.

    http://iheartjennysart.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. My nieces would love these - might be painting a few of them this weekend to send as a summer surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea! Your painting looks good from here. I need to find these forms at the store. I would love to crochet over them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So adorable! We are featuring you this week on Sister Sister! Be sure to come back and link up again!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Neat! Those may be the cutest little wooden doll family I have ever seen! You are very very talented, Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this idea I will be featuring it on somewhatsimple.com on Tuesday, Aug 24th. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, I love these!!! And I love that you made them into your little family...I have seen a few different ideas for these, but love the family idea the best!!! :)Thanks for sharing! You are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete