Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Mini Take-Along Doll House


UPDATE:
3/10/2020

I have had a lot of readers contact me about not being able to access the tutorial for this project. It appears UK Lass has made her blog private. That's unfortunate because she had such a great tutorial. I wish I had included a tutorial here on my blog at the time, but that's all in the past. I have however come across this pattern guide. Hopefully it can help give you some guidelines to attempt the project on your own.





I'm really excited to share this project with you.

I've mentioned that I've been thinking up ideas for a while now to keep the kids busy while traveling this summer. I thought it would be so fun to have a little doll house that my daughter could bring along. Something small. Something that could be folded up and then easily put together when we were ready for play.


This is what I came up with:

It turns out that I wasn't the only one with this idea. After coming up with the idea for this little portable doll house I was trying to figure out the details of how I was actually going to construct it. As I was browsing around online one day I came across UK Lass in US and her fabulous tutorial showing me how to make exactly what I had dreamed up. Amazing.


Thanks Dawn! (You'll thank her too if you ever make one.) See her tutorial HERE. It is really great. These are so easy to make. Anyone with basic sewing skills can do it.
And I loved her idea for using the plastic canvas to make the house sturdy. I would have never thought of that. It worked perfect.
Here's the outside:


The inside:


I debated weather or not to add any furniture to the house. Last minute I decided to just do it, but tried to keep it simple. It's more fun with furniture. Don't you think?


. . . And a little fridge that you can actually open up!


Ready for travel??? Just undo the buttons and it folds up nice and flat to put in your bag.


Bring along in the car or airplane and once you get going, put your little house together and you're ready to play.

Here's the happy home for the happy little family . . .


I did make a few changes from what UK Lass did.
  • She sewed the back sides up. I added an extra button and loop on the back so that it can be made flat when done playing.
  • I fused my batting (I used Warm & White--it's nice and thin) to my fabric with wonder under and left an opening to slide my plastic canvas inside after I had sewed each fabric piece and turned it right side out.
  • On the long main piece, after putting in each canvas piece, I sewed along the edge of the canvas, through all layers of fabric, to secure each one.
  • For the furniture I used felt and applied it like I did here.
Does that make any sense at all???
If you have any questions please let me know.

And stay tuned . . . next week I'll be showing you the mini travel toy that I made for my son to take along.

39 comments:

  1. That is clever. I love that it is portable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooohhh, please share what you did differently from UK Lass. This tutorial will definitely be on my "to-do" list and I would love to hear from your perspective before starting into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea! And I love the furniture, I think any little girl would love it and the whole thing! Thanks for joining We Did It! Wednesday :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! So cute. I bet my daughter would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw your post on 'Sew Much Ado'. Thank you for the link to the house tutorial. It looks really sweet. I can't wait to see what you made for your son!

    http://createdbycathy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is adorable! Thanks for the idea, I will be making this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am definitely making this. It is TOO CUTE!! Thanks for the tutorial!
    You can find an easy and no-sewing-involved ancient Egyptian headdress and collar (for kids' craft) at my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kids would love this! I'm thinking about taking this project on for sure! Found you because I accidentally crashed a made by you link up at Santa's Gifts Shoppe. I totally overlooked the word MADE and just read anything. I'm embarrassed but finding lots of great new blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! Turned out so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It turned out great - I love the furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The fridge opens... Fabulous.
    Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How Darling!!! I love love love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made one of these (thanks to Dawn) back when I first started blogging & it's still one of my favorite projects. I really like your modifications - they make it SO much easier to put together....I may have to make another now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. And this is just another reason why I wish I had a girl. Thanks for sharing! Please come again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How adorable is this!! My daughter would have loved this a few years ago. She was always in to small dolls and houses. You did a wonderful job.

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the changes you made. The fridge is absolutely adorable! I've been wanting to make one of these for a while now. Yours is so cute
    Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so darling! Please link it up to our Sister Sister Party,

    Thanks,
    Amanda
    http://blog.kuzakscloset.com/2010/06/sister-sister-sunday-our-favorite.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is awesome!! If I had a girl, I would definitely be making this for her!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amy, this is AMAZING! You are so talented. I am in love with this project.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMGosh, that's so sweet! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My goodness - this is so precious! I love the inside - too cute! Fantastic job! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful week. ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Amy! Just wanted to let you know I'll be featuring your house and dolls today. Feel free to stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks again for linking up to The Sunday Showcase. ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  23. i LOVE this! You did such an amazing job on yours! I can't wait to give it a try, myself! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So sweet, I just love the inside! Thanks for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday, great to have you as always!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Holy cow! I LOVE this. I wish I had a little girl in my life to make it for.

    It is just about precious.

    I would love it if you linked this up to a brand new linky party for a month long event, Christmas in July over at Just Another Day in Paradise.

    It is all about homemade gifts and this is just about the cutest handmade gift.

    I hope you can stop by soon, link up and look around.

    This is great.

    Just Another Day in Paradise
    www.zitzmanfam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this idea! I'll have to save it for when I have kiddos of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just LOVE this project! I will have to make these for my twin nieces when they get a little older. So cute! Thanks for linking up to Sister Sister Sunday, come back this week!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This project was our favorite this week so we decided to feature you on this week's addition of Sister Sister...Check it out!

    http://blog.kuzakscloset.com/2010/07/sister-sister-sunday-what-we-cant-live.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. Darling--I can't wait to make one!! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is such a lovely, practical idea for travelling with a favourite toy. I can't wait to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  31. How great to find a mom who loves to makes toys as much as I do. Your projects are great! If you ever want to do a "toy" blog swap let me know. I would also appreciate it if you would add me to the list of blogs on your side bar. I look forward to visiting often for more inspiration.
    mymommymakesit

    ReplyDelete
  32. My daughter bought a house like this from a yard sale and it was from Pottery Barn Kids. I just love it and we have been trying to make one ever since. Yours is great. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That is ADORABLE!!! I can't sew a straight line, nor can I even figure out my sewing machine, but I sure wish I could!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Absolutely LOVE your little house! I can't wait to make one! Thanks for sharing all of your creative ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh my!! My daughter would LOVE it!!! I need to learn how to sew!! Looks like you have plenty more around here that's a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love this idea and thanks for your alterations. Very simple if you have a sewing machine, I have very basic sewing skills and I managed to knock one together!
    Here's my blog post with my pictures.
    http://blackpaws.wordpress.com/2012/05/19/portable-fabric-dollshouse/

    ReplyDelete
  37. Do you sell these??? I would love to buy one!

    ReplyDelete
  38. The link to the tutorial says you have to be invited to read it :(

    ReplyDelete